DYNT has a new website!

Please note, DYNT has a new website. This site is no longer "active". To stay up to date, please check:
www.darnyarnneedlesandthread.us

Sunday, February 14, 2010

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

Ok, so I added a quote from a pop-culture sci-fi book to the bottom of my blog page. I figured I should take a moment, early on, to explain why it's there.

My hubby and I had an inside joke for a long time, "Someday, when I open my own store..." Recently, it became "Someday, when I open Darn Yarn Needles and Thread...". Well things started falling into place. A place opened up on Main Street in Butler, with rent I could afford. They started talking at work about watching our hours and I figured I could reduce mine to part-time. These two things led to us discussing the possibility that Darn Yarn Needles and Thread could become a reality.

I started planning on a shoe string budget, a baby shoe-string budget. I wasn't really sure how this was going to work.

My hubby's Aunt Sue became ill around Thanksgiving. It was discovered that she had Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. She passed away just after Thanksgiving.

Aunt Sue was a kindred spirit. All Kracks are incredibly talented, most of them can fix anything, many have translated this talent into artistic endeavours. Like Aunt Sue. She owned and ran a Quilt shop for a few years, she was an official quilter for the state of West Virginia. She was also the type of person that was always there to help you. She loved all her nieces and nephews and took care of all of them and all of the niece and nephew-in-laws.

My husband, shocked and stunned himself, recently discovered that Aunt Sue, having no kids of her own, thought enough of all the nieces and nephews to name them as her beneficiaries. My hubby, having known Aunt Sue his entire life, decided that I should use this money for Darn Yarn Needles and Thread. He figures it's what she would want done with the money. It's not a lot, but it's more than a little too. My shoe string just increased to a sneaker length shoe string.

At her funeral, we learned that Aunt Sue and a few of her sibling would use the quote "So long and thanks for all the fish" as a way to say goodbye when they would part company. I thought it only fitting to use this quote as a way of thanking her for all her love and support in the past, and in the future. While I'd rather have her than her money, her memory will live on every time I purchase inventory for the shop.

So Aunt Sue, you are missed alot every day, I could use your help now as I start my own fiber arts business, but "So long and thanks for all the fish."

3 comments:

  1. This is SO great Lisa! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's passing, but it's great that you now have more money to work with! Should help you a lot! Good luck on the St. Patty's day opening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had NO idea...Every Saturday, as I sit on the sidelines, watching my sons, you and Dave and all the others unicycling, that we had so much in common! Funny thing, on Saturday I almost brought Andy's socks to work on as I watched.

    I am so excited for you...and for me! Best of luck, and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help out, let me know. Seriously. LET.ME.KNOW!

    Jan (Andy and Tony's mom)

    ReplyDelete